Saturday, May 28, 2011

Seasons of Salvation

I started reading this book May 26, 2011 at about midnight. I read the preface, prologue, and a couple of chapters. I finished this book May 28, 2011 at about 7:30 p.m. I just couldn't put it down.
How I came to read this book isn't a super exciting story, but it is a story nonetheless. For a while now I have seem this book on my bookshelf and have thought to myself...or aloud...that I should read this book. I know not where it came from or how it got on my bookshelf, but I decided to read it.
The book is about an orphan girl, who has been in and out of 'foster houses' as she calls them; to her they were never Homes, just houses and rooms. A couple decides to adopt her. At first she is wary to trust and care, fearing that this will be temporary, like everything else in her life had been. In the end she finds a Home with a mother and father that love her. It's a Christmas story. I will admit it is an LDS book, but it doesn't preach any. In the end the Christmas Season becomes a season of salvation. Now it does have a little teenage romance in it, but that is not what the book is about.
The book made me realize that no matter the problems I have, I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. I can wallow in self pity, or I can take my trials and learn from them. If I want to do it, I can. I also learned from the book that no matter how hard my life seems to be, usually someone else out there is worse off. There are plenty of ways I can serve people, I just have to keep my eyes open.
Finally my recommendation. Those of you who are still reading this blog, which I'm sure there are few, I recommend that you read this book. It has such a great meaning to it. I'm not going to force you to read this book or even my blog, I mean how will I know if you do or don't, but I really hope you do. The book is, Seasons of Salvation by Dennis L. Mangrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment